Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How "green" are you? Here are some of the things I do to make myself "green"...

Ensuring that we minimize our negative impact on the environment is a key element in tackling such concerns as pollution, solid waste, deforestation, global warming and climate change among a myriad of other existing and emerging ecological concerns.

A big chunk of the environmental concerns/problems we are experiencing is as a result of anthropogenic activities. Meaning our own actions (either as individuals or groups) have had a chain of reactions with feedbacks exhibited in various forms one of which is degraded environment.

It is worthy of note that, a degraded environment or an unstable ecosystem can barely support life. Therefore, there is a need to always ensure our environment is protected and at the least conserved if we are to have a  guarantee of healthy living. Our lives primarily depend on the natural environment around us and any degradation of it has a direct negative effect on life on Earth.

Each and everyone of us should thus strive to achieve an equilibrium on his/her interaction with the environment. Though our environment does act as a sink for nearly all our waste and those waste of the non-talking partners, we-the intelligent partner- should ensure that we don't serve the sink with more than it can take up at any particular time. In essence, am trying to say that we should minimizing on our waste as much as possible.

In my quest to achieve the highest level of eco-consciousness possible, I have taken to embracing several practices that minimize greatly my ecological footprint. The practices are ordinary and simple yet most of the time   majority of people take them for granted either for simple reason of ignorance or just because of misguided notion that an individual's action can have no substantial effect on a larger scale, say national or global.

The first thing I did was to change my attitude. As a little boy I used to believe that nature provides for us ad libitum and that it was inexhaustible and could take care of itself.  This was not until my dad introduced me to watching Sir David Attenborough's BBC nature documentaries and taking me and my other siblings on a tour of the local museum and agricultural shows, that I began to appreciate the fact that nature is wonderful, exhaustible and deserves to be conserved. I have since evolved in terms of attitude towards the natural environment and now I know better. I know my life is dependent on the quality and sustainability of my environment. I know the environment must be conserved and protected at all cost.

I live in the suburbs of Nairobi City and work within the city. On average, the distance to and from my work station is equivalent to a three hours drive on the minimum, with delays due to traffic jam taken into account. I don't own a personal car so am left with only one option - public transport. A majority use public transport in Nairobi. In fact, it is common place.

However, I have adopted a hybrid option of the public transport (matatus). Ordinarily, I should be boarding two vehicles to work in the morning and the same in the evening. But I do board two vehicles in the morning and only one in the evening. I have supplemented the dropped vehicle with a walk. When I realized the distance between my work station and the city center is a 15 - 20 minutes walk, I   immediately stopped boarding matatus and resorted to walking which not only goes along way in reducing my carbon footprint but also acting as a well deserved daily physical exercise. Am glad to say most of my colleagues at work have taken to walking too.

Still on the same point of public transport, I am always very keen on the kind of matatus I travel in. As a matter of principle, I don't do matatus that play loud music, those with loud exhausts and those that are poorly maintained which I usually judge by the amount of smoke emitted i.e. if a matatu emits huge smoke I don't board it.

Most of the matatus I travel in employ a receipt system. Passengers are issued with a receipt on payment of the bus fare. The receipts are however not reusable a fact that has resulted in an influx of litter(discarded receipts) at bus stops. As part of my going green goal, I have developed a habit of carrying my receipt(s) till the next dust bin where I offload them in there. Overtime I realized most people don't mind throwing litter anyhow and now I have taken to talking people out of the littering habit. I do it in a small scale but overtime am confident the result will be large scale.

In the house, I have taken to wise use (conservation) of everything. In terms of energy use, I am always keen to avoid any wastage. Whenever am leaving the house I do ensure my sockets are switched off. As a matter of principle I use only energy saving bulbs in the house. I strictly do clean energy in my houses, unless otherwise (blackout; when I may resort to candles). Whereas a paraffin stove may be cheap and an electric cooker efficient, I opted for a gas cooker for the simple reason of its eco-friendliness, hygiene and economy.

Taking clothes to the laundry may be stylish in this part of the world, but I have refrained from getting carried away. In fact, I only take my jackets to the laundry because I can't wash them in the house. Generally, I do my laundry in the house using cold water and ordinary washing soaps which have very minimal impacts to the environment as compared to the liquid detergents used at laundry outlets. I do dry my clothes out in the natural heat of the sun which is so abundant here in Nairobi.

Plastic is one commodity I have come to realize that one can't avoid using despite all the information about its negativity. Polythene bag - a member of the plastic family - is a cause of solid waste menace in most of our urban centers today. In fact, on average close to 75% of waste in any dumping site in Kenya is polythene. They're cheap, versatile and very readily available that it is almost impossible to avoid them. In my quest to be green, I have resorted not to demonise plastic/polythene but to use them wisely by embracing their versatility. I have taken to reuse of polythene bags as much as possible. Sometime if the number of polythene bags in my possession increase for one reason or another, I usually resort to using them as dustbins. Once a bag has had enough trash, usually on a weekly basis, I dispose it and all its content in the collection bin outside the house.

I live by two simple principles. One, "trash is not trash till it is trash." Simply put, my trash may be another persons raw material.  Two, "dustbins are only as useful as you want them to be" Don't litter your path with receipts and sweet wraps when you got dustbins all over. Also make sure you dump your trash right into the dustbin. Dropping the trash next to the dustbin helps with nothing but only causes more pollution.

I believe you too are doing something to reduce your ecological footprint. But if you have not started doing something then this is the time to start.

Now is the time for eco-consciousness. Let us mind the impacts of our actions to the environment. Let us all do something for nature. You can plant, switch off that unneeded light bulb, drop those receipts in the dustbin or better still initiate a going green campaign with your friends to create public awareness.

Mine is a call to action by each and everyone of us. Did you know that every trillion starts at one? The cumulative effect of all our little actions is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment